In an effort to provide you with access to resources and other announcements, we’ve updated our website at www.vcsqi.org. As a result, our bi-weekly newsletter will focus only on critical announcements and updates, with links to our website and others for more details about topics.
TCPI Goals: Improve Quality, Reduce Costs, & Focus on Patient-Centered Care
Welcome to New Practices Joining the VCSQI SAN 2.0
- Delray Center for Healing – Delray Beach, FL – Behavioral Health
- Premier Integrated Health – Indianapolis, IN – Chiropractic
- Socastee Eye Clinic – Myrtle Beach, SC – Optometry
- T.V. Seshan, MD, PC – White Plains, NY – Neurology
- Welch Road Imaging – Menlo Park, CA – Diagnostic Radiology
Addressing the Opioid Misuse Crisis is a priority of VCSQI SAN 2.0 and CMS!
Two Requests for VCSQI SAN 2.0 Practices:
- Please Complete 2 Brief Surveys on Opioid Prescribing and Person/Family Engagement (PFE)
Please complete these surveys by END OF DAY TODAY – Tuesday, December 5
- Please complete each survey only ONCE per practice. Here are PDFs of both surveys so that you can print/view them to confirm your responses with your staff. Once you have your responses, please go to the survey links below to enter your practice’s responses online.
- The first survey (25 questions at most) focuses on your practices’ opioid prescribing practices. Even if you do not prescribe opioids, please answer the first few questions that will allow you to indicate you do not prescribe opioids. You will not need to answer any questions after that.
- The second survey focuses on person/patient and family engagement; there are only 11 questions.
- Opioid Prescribing Practices Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DCXNPH3
- Person/Patient and Family Engagement Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DQP2LC3
- Take the Pledge Today to Join the Effort to Reduce Opioid Misuse
In alignment with national action towards improving medication management and opioid misuse, TCPI launched the Medication Management and Opioid (MMO) Initiative in alignment with the TCPI 7 Aims. Please consider taking this pledge to review your opioid prescribing practices and contribute to this national effort. Follow this link to take the pledge.
Read more about the Campaign to Reduce Opioid Misuse at http://www.healthcarecommunities.org/
Patient and Family Engagement & Resources
How to Better Engage Patients and Families: The Malizzo’s Effort to Save Lives After Deadly Medical Mistake Spurs Relatives to Join Hospital Panel, Not Sue
December 7, 2017, 5:45 pm EST
Join the VCSQI membership meeting to hear nationally-known patient advocates Bob and Barb Malizzo tell their story and share ideas for how to better engage your patients and their families. Read the full Chicago Tribune story of their experience and efforts here: http://media01.commpartners.com/NQF/11_17_11/Chicago_Tribune_Malizzo_Story.pdf
Follow this link to join the meeting December 7 online: https://zoom.us/j/4200618741
The discussion will be recorded and also available later online.
Practice Transformation Success Story:
OPA Medical Uses Lean Standard Work with Behavioral Health Providers to Improve Whole Person Health
Following an assessment of practice operations, OPA Medical in Oxon Hill, MD prioritized the need to establish a better relationship with behavioral health providers and establish a referral process that met the needs of all providers. Working with their VCSQI Transformation Improvement Advisor, the team at OPA Medical received training in the Lean tool of Standard Work, and developed a formal process that outlined:
- What specifically needed to be done and when,
- How each step in the referral process should be completed and documents, and
- Why each step is important to complete.
Once medical leadership reviewed and approved the process, the team at OPA Medical shared this new process with the behavior health offices they referred to regularly to solicit feedback, input, and buy-in. The new process was quickly implemented and has resulted in:
- Consistent communication from the PCP to behavioral health providers when referring new patients,
- More timely documentation and communication from the behavior health providers to OPA Medical.
- More timely treatment and follow up for the patient, minimizing potential risk.
VCSQI’s TCPI Transformation Roadmap
VCSQI has outlined a TCPI Transformation Roadmap to methodically guide a practice through the 5 phases of transformation. The Roadmap outlines specific activities of our work with you, including the initial preparation. In this VCSQI Learning Session, the New Roadmap to Transforming Your Practice is explained. Ivan Berkel, MBA, CLSSBB, CPHQ, VCSQI Transformation Improvement Advisor, shares a structure and pathway to help your practice move through the 5 TCPI phases of transformation in order to improve the value of care AND move out of MIPS and into an Alternative Payment Model.
Overcoming Challenges to MIPS Participation
Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 3:30 pm ET – Register Here
Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 11:00 am ET – Register Here
Solo clinicians and practices with 15 or fewer clinicians have time and resource constraints making it challenging to prepare for the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) submission by March 31, 2018. This event will focus on what can be done now to prepare for MIPS even if your practice has done little so far or lacks a certified electronic health record (EHR). Learn how to avoid a penalty even if you have not collected any 2017 data yet. Claims, EHR, and registry submission methods will be reviewed visit us. Register for only one session most convenient for you.
Now Available: 2 New Accredited Online Courses:
- Quality Payment Program 2017: Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Advancing Care Information (ACI) Performance Category Web-Based Training (WBT) Course
- Quality Payment Program: Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Participation in 2017 (November 2017)
Learn more about the CMS Online Courses Here: CMS MLN FAQs-Booklet-ICN909182
New Quality Payment Program Resources Available on CMS.gov
& Extreme/Uncontrollable Circumstances QPP Waiver Info
CMS has posted new Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) resources on CMS.gov:
- CMS Web Interface Resources: Includes the new Excel template to use when uploading sample beneficiary data to the CMS Web Interface, as well as the corresponding user guide and instructional video on how to use the new Excel template.
- Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances Fact Sheet: Provides an overview of the Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances policy, established in the interim final rule with comment period, to support clinicians affected by the California wildfires and Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria.
- MIPS 101 Guide: Offers a basic overview of MIPS, including who is eligible to participate, the three ways to participate in MIPS in 2017, and the reporting requirements for the four MIPS performance categories.
- QPP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Includes answers to nearly 40 questions about the Quality Payment Program in 2017.
Upcoming Webinar by NNE-PTN: “Decreasing Readmissions Part II: Using Lean to Improve the Discharge Process”
December 19, 12 – 1 pm ET
Quote for the Week:
“The first step in exceeding your customer’s (patient’s) expectations is to know those expectations.” — Roy H. Williams, author
About VCSQI SAN 2.0: Primary Goal
The goal of the VCSQI SAN 2.0 is to assist participating practices progress through the 5 phases of the Quality Payment Program (QPP) practice transformation process. Starting with review of your baseline practice assessment, we will guide you and your practice leaders through practice improvement activities and changes. Our goal is to successfully keep your practice moving from one phase to the next to optimize your CMS reimbursements in the QPP, and improve quality, reduce costs and focus on patient-centered care.
VCSQI SAN 2.0 Enrollees’ Progress:
- 42 practices enrolled
- 293 providers enrolled
- 31 practices have completed assessment
- 40% Phase 1
- 55% Phase 2
- 5% Phase 3
VCSQI SAN 2.0 December 2017 – All Rights Reserved